Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Classes

I realized I never told you about my classes! I have international law and italian on Mondays and Wednesdays, then business law, food writing and images of Italy in Anglo writings on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And no class on Friday! I have the same professor for both my law classes and the same professor for both my english classes, which I think is strange but it is a small school. Surprisingly, I actually have homework, which I wasn't really expecting. Everyone says, "omg classes abroad are so easy, they know you're just there to explore and travel." False. I have 11 books and approximately 50 pages of reading a night (just for international law). The way I see it though, even if I spend a lot of my time doing work, I'm doing work in Rome, and that's significantly better than doing work in College Park. 


On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have no class from 12 to 3:40, so we walk to this nearby sandwich place to get un panino (a sandwich), and the "deli guy" (for lack of a better term) makes the most beautiful sandwiches. That sounds weird, because sandwiches aren't typically called beautiful. But these are. He speaks some english, and I attempt to use my Italian (panino con pollo, prosciutto, pomodoro e ricotta - not so bad!) but he never understands me (maybe because I speak Italian with a spanish accent). He always makes my sandwich with such love; it takes him 5 minutes just to properly layer the slices of meats and cheese to his liking. I usually just tell him to surprise me and create whatever he thinks is the most delicious. It usually involves some combination of hot salami, prosciutto, sliced smoky chicken, pesto, fresh soft ricotta, mozzarella, and tomatoes, all sandwiched between the softest-on-the-inside-but-crunchiest-on-the-outside, freshly-baked roll. I wish I had a picture to show you but when that sandwich is in front of me I forget that I'm supposed to take pictures. But I can show you this...



It's a nutella roll-up. And yes, it's as delicious as it sounds. It's a light, slightly citrusy sponge cake with globs of nutella piled on, then rolled together. This great pasticceria (pastry shop) down the street from school makes the most interesting desserts, but this is the one to get. Don't worry Dad, I'm not eating this every day. Maybe once a week, or twice...


I do eat healthy sometimes though. Tiny baby clementines, like this one, grow all over Rome - in fact, there's a clementine (tangerine?) tree right in the AUR garden. They're still too sour to eat (we've tried) but they'll be sweet and delicious soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment