Friday, February 10, 2012

The Pantheon

I've officially been here for over two weeks and only just made it to the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. I haven't seen the Colosseum (Coliseum?) yet, or the Roman Forum, or Villa Borghese, or the Spanish Steps or any of those other really old, important sites. But I'm getting there. I do live here after all, and four months is plenty of time to visit all the ruins and then some. Not to worry though, I've seen (and eaten) plenty of pizza, gelato and pastries (they're Roman too).


(Alex, Amy, me and Marielle in front of the Pantheon)

Oh, it's snowing again in case you were wondering. It only snows on the weekends here, which makes sightseeing and walking miles to find things really easy and fun!

(Trevi Fountain)

The Trevi Fountain is only a short walk from the Pantheon so we popped over there for a bit to throw some coins in and take some pics. It really is so gorgeous, the picture doesn't even do it justice.

(This one's for you Nana)

Sorry for my general appearance, I look like a wet dog (and my fur hood actually smelled like one), but this is as good as it's going to get when it never stops sleeting. Anyway, less about the sights and more about the gelato.

(this is just the chocolate section - which is the most important - the flavors went on for miles)

I have a terrible sweet tooth. I like salty and savory but if chocolate is an option, no matter what the circumstances are or the time of day, I will always pick it. However, I'd rather a good cookie, or a cupcake over ice cream. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike ice cream by any means, I'd just rather something warm and gooey. But gelato... gelato is different. My knees go weak for gelato - it's a compulsion. If I see someone walking around with a cup I have to get it. Well this place, Gelato Della Palma, is a gelato-lovers heaven. There's easily over 80 flavors, ranging from Kit-Kat to pear cheesecake, to canolli to chocolate rum (which would totally get you wasted off a small cup). The guy told us we could only try one flavor, so we had to think strategically. I ended up getting nutella-caramel, dark chocolate and profiteroles (cream puff).


I'm going to come back broke and 5,000 pounds, and I'm totally OK with it. 

1 comment: